An easy and delicious broccoli recipe

I've talked about the benefits of broccoli a lot on this blog (here, here and here) and I think it's because I'm trying to convince myself to love it...but I rarely do LOVE it...especially when pregnant.  However, I came up with this super simple recipe that actually left me craving more so I thought I would share:

2 pieces of nitrate free bacon
1 large head broccoli chopped into small pieces
1 handful of greens (I had some kale and swiss chard leftover so I threw it in but this is optional)
2-4 cloves of garlic: diced (I used 4 but if you're not so into garlic, go with less)
1 pad of butter* (preferably grass-fed)
2-3 tbsp real maple syrup
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper (optional)


  • Brown the bacon in a sauté pan and add the garlic just before the bacon is ready.  
  • Remove the bacon once it's browned and set aside (full disclosure- I ate one of the pieces that I 'set aside'...oops)
  • Add the butter* and broccoli and sauté until bright green.  
  • Add the maple syrup and cooked bacon (chopped into small pieces) and salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste and stir. 
  • When the broccoli browns/caramelizes on the tips just a bit it's ready.

So you may think that the bacon, butter and maple syrup take away from the "healthy" benefits of the broccoli, but my take is that if you're otherwise not eating/serving broccoli (or any other veg) because you don't love the way it tastes, do what it takes to make it taste good-within reason of course.  And besides, you need the fat to help absorb the fat soluble vitamins in the broccoli!

Enjoy!

*If your bacon is very fatty, you may not need the butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...