Eating raw for 3 days: a detailed list of foods and recipes

So here's the deal:  I've been thinking about going raw for a while now and something always comes up.  You would think just not cooking anything would be no big deal for a few days, and maybe it would, but not if you're into food and flavor beyond crudite with no dip and salads with no meat or cheese!  I finally found the motivation in the season (the farmer's markets are bursting with color and flavor) AND in the state of my skin.  Honestly, the number one health benefit of the raw food diet that has always been most appealing to me is the promise of "glowing skin".  Lately, I feel that mine is much less than luminous.  And so here goes...


I started with a grocery list based losely on some of the meals I already eat and some recipes I gathered from My New Roots and Whole Living Magazine.  Here it is:

PRODUCE: Go with organic if you can!
1 bunch cherry Tomatoes
1 Zucchini
2 Yellow Summer Squash
3 Plums
3 Apples
4 Avocados
3 Grapefruit
Large bunch of mixed baby lettuce
1 bunch Swiss Chard
1 Red Onion
1 Garlic
1 Ginger
1 Mango
1 Red Pepper
1 Blueberries (frozen)
6 Bananas
1 Mango
8 Carrots
1 Red Cabbage
1 Jalapeno
2 Tomatillos
3 lemons
2 limes
1 bunch of broccoli
1 bag frozen strawberries
Kale and herbs from my patio garden

NUTS/SEEDS (all raw): about 1 cup of each all from the bin section of Whole Foods
Pistachios
Walnuts
Almonds
Cashews
Pumpkin Seeds
Flax Seeds
Hemp Seeds

MISC:
Olive Oil
Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
Bragg's Liquid Aminos
Raw nori sheets

Day 1:
7:15 AM: water with the juice of 1/4 of lemon

8: 15 AM: green smoothie of kale, flax seeds, lemon juice, blueberries and strawberries (I make some version of this often.  Add any fruits, veggies you like).
12:30 PM: Raw Mexican lettuce wraps from My New Roots.  I love her blog and every recipe that I've tried so far has been great!  I definitely added the avocado and used Bragg's Liquid Aminos, a wheat-free low sodium alternative to the soy sauce.  I also used jalapenos, mango and tomatillos in the salsa and rolled it all up in a Swiss chard leaf.



4:30 PM: 1/4 mango and a handful of pistachios

8:00 PM:  1 small glass of Pinot Noir (oh yes, you can have wine!!)                
Salad of mixed baby greens, tomatoes, red onion, avocado and the walnut mix from the raw Mexican lettuce  wraps.  I topped it all with the cashew "sour cream" and a little olive oil and lemon juice and carrot sticks on the side.


I definitely drank lots of water all day and had a green tea with mint in the morning.  Not sure if that's really legal, but on a Monday with a 15 month old, it's necessary!  I liked the Mexican lettuce wraps a lot, but actually enjoyed the salad more (mostly the same ingredients compiled differently).   I made normal, generous portions for each meal and I really haven't been hungry for more food....yet!  The fat in the nuts and the fiber in the veggies really does fill you up!

We'll see how tomorrow goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...