radish, pea shoot and hamachi salad

This week I wanted to cook with something different that I don't usually use at home.  I chose 2 seasonal vegetables, radishes and pea shoots and also went for some Hamachi tuna...yum!  I found radishes, an early spring vegetable at the Green City Market.  They're crisp and spicey as well as great detoxifiers, high in vitamin C and a decent source of folate.   Pea shoots are another spring treat also high in Vitamins C and A as well as folate.   They taste a little like peas, but so fresh and green!  I found organic Pea Shoots at Trader Joe's.

Then I started experimenting....



Spring Greens Smoothie
1/4-1/2 banana
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
2 kiwis peeled and diced
1/2 cup cantaloupe diced
1 cup pea shoots

Blend the above ingredients into a thick liquid. 
Add a little ice if you like it cold
top with Chia seeds
&
serve for smiles!


The radishes spiced up my usual salad.  

The three combined perfectly in my first attempt at homemade sashimi!  This dish, loaded with antioxidants, healthy fats and protein, was inspired by my amazing lunch at True Food Kitchen in Phoenix.  I think it tasted pretty similar!


I got 3/4 lb Hamachi (or other sushi grade tuna - skin removed) at Dirk's Fish Market in Lincoln Park.
Thinly sliced the following vegetables using a vegetable peeler
1-2 Radishes
1 peeled Cucumber
1 large Carrot
threw in
1/2 cup pea shoots
&
Topped it all with this dressing:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari (gluten and wheat-free)
1/2 Tsp Agave
Juice of 1/2 lime
Pinch of lime zest
Juice of 1/4 of an orange

I ate my fish raw and thinly sliced, but my husband wanted his seared so I kept his piece whole.  I cooked it on high heat with grapeseed oil (it has a high smoke point) for 1 minute per side.  Either way, it was fantastic!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Heather! We're BYW fellow students and you've stopped by my blog and left a message, so I came here to take a look at yours and loved it! Personal but with lots of content and great pictures, congrats!
    Manu Mitre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manu! And thanks for stopping by. Looking forward to reading more from you...
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would love the sashimi you made! I will stick with your usual salad ;-) or try it your husband's way.
    I shared this link with the fans of our Dermatology Spa. We talk a lot about Skin Fitness and taking care of your body inside and out. Once in awhile I share a link to a website that has a yummy recipe {preferably seasonal} YOUR blog is a perfect resource for our fans interested in new healthy recipes!!!
    Cheers~Ivy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...