back to school breakfast: protein packed granola is a great alternative to store bought cereal

I have a love-hate relationship with cereal.  I love it because it's easy- my 4 year old can make it himself and my kids really like it.  And I hate it because it lacks real nourishment: it's typically low in protein, processed, and high in sugar.  It also goes right through my kids leaving them hungry 30 minutes after eating.  I've spent my fair share of time in the cereal aisle and have yet to find anything that's a great choice.  Sure, there are some fine choices, but nothing that comes anywhere close to this recipe for real nutrition and staying power!

This recipe for Nut Butter Granola is super nutrient desnse...here's the breakdown:

  • 15 grams of protein and only 6 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup serving!  
  • healthy fats including omega-3s and lauric acid to boost immunity
  • 1/2 cups meets the recommended daily amount of zinc and magnesium for young children (2 nutrients most kids AND adults don't get enough) 

And here's the recipe:

2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup butter (ideally grass fed, like Kerrygold)
1/2 cup nut butter
1/4 cup real maple syrup (plus or minus depending on your family's taste preferences)
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 cups oats
1/2 cup pistachios*
1 cup cashews*
1 cup pumpkin seeds*

1. Combine the oil, butter, nut butter, maple syrup and vanilla in a sauce pan and heat on low until combined
2. Pulse the cashews, pumpkin seeds and pistachios lightly until some are broken up but some remain whole (I only do this because my 2 and 4 year old prefer the nuts to be broken down).
3. Pour the wet mixture over the dry and stir adding cinnamon and salt
4. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until it begins to dry (the timing may vary depending on your oven and taste preferences).


* You can use any nuts and seeds that you like but I use these because they're some of the highest in protein, magnesium and zinc.

enjoy!

Read more about why zinc and magnesium are such important nutrients for our kids and ourselves here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...